Year 2015. What was it musically? The year was big because Ausculto began. A monstrous amount of music is listened to. A lot of it has to shared and there has been some discussion too. Member A and Spinebrain are men in place. Without them Ausculto would be pretty much one-sided. Now there’s a side for the light, and there’s a side for the dark and me between them.
I listen to a lot of music. My friends also know it. Many asked for me the best albums of the year 2015. It is not easy to answer. Why? Because I listen to albums with retroactive effect. There’s so much good music, that all not able to take over instantly in their releasing year. I can quite certainly say what were the best albums of 2014, and even better the best albums of 2013. I can suspect, what are the best albums of 2015 on the basis of a few listening.
First, a small aggregation about the most listened to artists, albums and songs. These are not my opinion the best. These only what I’ve listened to the most.
This year, David Bowie has become very familiar, thanks to the 1001-list. Almost all of these artists has place in Toomio’s TOP100-list, and if don’t already have one, then probably will be. The success in this list is also due to the fact that I listen them very often when I’m driving.
5. David Bowie
7. Type O Negative
10. Blind Guardian
Kamchatka is my favourite music for driving. Groovy southern rock with a little prog-touch. Yann Tiersen I was listening much in last winter. Sara’s Kromi is a surprise. I thought that I have not listened to it so much.
1. Kamchatka — Bury Your Roots
2. Blind Guardian — Beyond the Red Mirror
3. TesseracT — One
4. Yann Tiersen — Infinity
5. Leprous — The Congregation
6. Gojira — The Way of All Flesh
7. Fallujah — The Flesh Prevails
8. Midlake — The Courage Of Others
9. Stam1na — Viimeinen Atlantis
10. Sara — Kromi
Kamchatka reigns here too. There are many Bond-songs, to which me and Mr A come back to the springtime. Got That Feeling is the song I often prepare for running competitions within.
1. Kamchatka — Bury Your Roots
2. Matt Monro — From Russia With Love
3. TesseracT — Lament
4. Chris Cornell — You Know My Name
5. Shirley Bassey — Moonraker
6. Faith No More — Got That Feeling
7. The Smashing Pumpkins — Tonight,Tonight
8. Gojira — The Silver Cord
9. Gojira — The Axe
10. Yann Tiersen — A Midsummer Evening
The above will make it possible to go to the listings of this year. I make a list of the previous two years too. Just because I want to see how the ranks will change. Today they made good music too. Not all good have been made before then.
1. Leprous – Coal
2. Daft Punk – Random Access Memories
3. TesseracT – Altered State
4. Saor – Roots
5. Queens of The Stone Age – …Like Clockwork
6. For The Imperium – Hail The Monsters
7. Sigur Rós – Kveikur
8. Omnium Gatherum – Beyond
9. The Dear Hunter – Migrant
10. Arcane Roots – Blood & Chemistry
1. Pepe & Saimaa – Saimaa (Rank in the last January 1.)
2. Opeth – Pale Communion (2.)
3. Fallujah – The Flesh Prevails (*)
4. Cynic – Kindly Bent to Free Us (*)
5. Saor – Aura (*)
6. Yann Tiersen – Infinity (*)
7. Anathema – Distant Satellites (3.)
8. The Contortionist – Language (4.)
9. Autere – Amal’l (5.)
10. ††† – ††† (8.)
And then we go to the year 2015.
It’s always going this way, that they are the best known are the first in this list. As you can see from the previous. Two Finnish album in this year.
1. Leprous – The Congreation
Great and stylish Norwegian prog / avant-garde metal. As the previous album, this was the year’s best. We will return to this.
2. Blind Guardian – Beyond The Red Mirror
Pompously there where it always has been. On the top. Good compositions, with aggressive power metal riffs.
3. Soilwork – The Ride Majestic
Long album, but not a single weak moment. If melodic death metal is your thing, take this album.
4. Deafheaven – New Bermuda
From the core of hipster metal came perfect boyfriends dressed in cashmere and wool shirts. They make that kind of black metal, which is acceptable and even desirable listen to.
5. Paradise Lost – The Plague Within
Gothic metal legends managed their comeback to harhs vocals just fine. There is everything you need to gloomy music.
6. Amorphis – Under The Red Cloud
This is something that I wouldn’t believe a year ago. I don’t like Joutsen’s vocals, but compositions are something old and traditional, strong Finnish metal.
7. Enslaved – In Times
This could be Norwegian counterpart to Amorphis. Not quite good as RIITIIR, but a good performance too. All history nerds, this is for you.
8. Saimaa – Matka Mielen Ytimeen
Weird sort of a cover album. All the songs aren’t very recognizable. But the joy of playing is so huge, that this deserves a place in the sun.
9. TesseracT – Polaris
Not quite as good than in the past. Djent music is also the mainstream nowadays, so Tesseract’s “good” is not quite enough for excellence anymore. Still, this is good.
10. Arcturus – Arcturian
The band is older than Mr A and is going stranger all the time. Although there are small breaks, it must be said that the musicians are adept at. ICS Vortex vocal sound brings good and recognizable stamp of the band’s post.
What can you expect in 2016?
There will be some interesting releases. Let’s try to predict the top10 of 2016. These artists should have something coming.
2. David Bowie
4. Pearl Jam
5. Red Hot Chili Peppers
6. Kanye West
9. Dream Theater
10. Elton John